Surely Arsene Wenger never imagined his last campaign would see his side fail to win an away game in over half a season.

Yet, as the curtain falls on his time at Arsenal, we come to our last game of the season and we have failed to win an away game in 2018. Leicester City are our latest opponents who have sent us packing, as they ran out 3-1 winners - but the game could, and should, have been very different.

More on that in a bit. Firstly, Wenger opted to shake things up a bit in the team, so Ainsley Maitland-Niles came into the side, as did Rob Holding and Danny Welbeck. Our defence had a real youthful zest about it, but the lack of experience was about to show - in a big way.

On the 14th minute of a very open looking game, Diabate touched on for Kelechi Iheanacho, and the young Nigerian shot home from close range to give the home side the lead.

Less than a minute later, the decision that changed the game. Forty yards from our goal, Mavropanos tussled with Iheanacho, and the referee judged that it was a red card offence, falsely thinking the Greek was the last man.

It meant that Wenger subbed Welbeck off, and replaced him with an extra defender in Shkodran Mustafi so we had the numbers to cope.

1-0 down and ten men - all inside 15 minutes. This wasn’t looking rosy in our attempt to end the away run.

It wasn’t until around the 25 minute mark that we got going, with Aubameyang being stifled by Jakupovic in the Foxes goal. Leicester were at the races though, and were testing both our young defence and Petr Cech behind them. We couldn’t get the foothold we normally acquire.

That wasn’t to say we weren’t creating, as Jakupovic was increasingly busy as the half wore on. There wasn’t enough time though, and the half time whistle blew, just as the game was opening up again, with both sides testing their respective keepers.

The second half saw us steam out of the blocks, with Kolasinac hitting the post with a fierce low drive, just two minutes after the restart. Not to be outsung, Vardy then saw an effort cleared off the line by Mustafi.

This game could’ve gone either way - just imagine if it was 11 v 11…

On the 53rd minute, we got the equaliser. Maitland-Niles went rogue, rampaging down the right, and the youth picked out Aubameyang, who did the pass a service by scoring after his initial effort was saved.

1-1. Could we go on and win it?

With twenty minutes to go, we were inches away from making that glorious final pass on several occasions. We were pushing the home side though, it was only a matter of time…

Then, with 15 to play, Mkhitaryan was adjudged to have tripped Demarai Gray in the area. Up stepped Vardy to score from the spot and give Leicester the lead again, and the referee again had a part to play.

We kept pushing, but in the last minute, Riyad Mahrez made the points safe, and left us winless on the road for 2018.

Refereeing decisions cost us dearly in this game, but what is inescapable is that we should never be in this position to talk about our team not winning an away game for HALF A SEASON.
Still, it was another lesson learned for our youngsters. I know, I’m grasping at positives here…

Oh well, this largely forgettable season ends in the weekend, with another away game.

Play the kids and see what happens - we have nothing to lose.