This was the literal game of two halves, as Liverpool pummelled us in the first half, but a resurgent Arsenal had a fantastic spell in the second half that nearly took all three points, only for Liverpool to have the last say.

Arsene Wenger for the second consecutive game went for a 4-2-3-1. Shkodran Mustafi was only fit enough for a spot on the bench, so our defence consisted of Koscielny and Monreal in the centre, with Hector Bellerin and Ainslie Maitland-Niles continuing his impressive surge up the ranks with a spot at left-back.

Alex Iwobi was part of the attacking quartet, alongside Mesut Ozil, Alexis Sanchez and Alexandre Lacazette, as Wenger opted to show his faith in his youngsters. Jack Wilshere partnered Granit Xhaka in the centre of the park, and it was a great opportunity for Wilshere, Iwobi and Maitland-Niles and Wilshere to show they can become mainstays in the starting eleven.

We started well, keeping the pressure on in the middle and looking forward with no delays when possession was obtained, rather than choosing to pass square. Wenger would be well aware of his poor record against Klopp as Liverpool manager - the German winning three out of four meetings thus far - so the positive start would be a great start to the gameplan.

Hector Bellerin was finding space early on down the right, on a few occasions his deliveries were cut out by last ditch interceptions, but to no avail in the first part of the first half. A stoppage in play allowed Wenger to call over Lacazette and issue instructions to the French striker, a rare sight to a lot of us.

Despite our good start, it was Liverpool who were edging into the game, and on the 25th minute, they took the lead.

Coutinho started a counter attack from his own half, and continued to run forward. The delivery into the box was looped up via a deflection, and Coutinho had kept going, jumping up to head into the far corner.

The away teams high press was reaping dividends, and they were winning the ball further and further up the field as we played silly passes under pressure. The balance of the game was slipping away as the half wore on.

A slip by Laurent Koscielny nearly gifted Liverpool a second just before half time, and Salah, the dangerman, had time one on one with Cech. Our goalkeeper produced a great stop low down to keep him out, with an acrobatic effort from Mane on the rebound sailing over.

We were on the ropes, but mistakes were coming from both sides, it was an untidy affair, but as the half time whistle blew, Liverpool had been the better side.

The second half began with another Wenger lesser-spotted decision - a half time sub. Shkodran Mustafi came on for Nacho Monreal, the Spaniard injuring his ankle in the first half.

Liverpool were looking dangerous on the counter from the start, and from a terrible Alexis corner, the Reds countered and Salah tested Cech with another low shot.

Salah wasn’t to be denied though. The Egyptian carried it forward from his own half and passed it to Firmino, who cut our defence in half with a pass to Salah, who slotted past Cech this time into the far corner.

In truth, we hadn’t tested a shaky Liverpool defence and goalkeeper like we should have. We were struggling to click in the final third, but we did find an instant response.

Bellerin crossed well to the far post and Joe Gomez had switched off, leaving Alexis to head home, and breathe life into our hopes.

Then, five minutes later, Xhaka smashed home an equaliser! From twenty five yards out, he set himself, the crowd as usual urging him to shoot, and he did. It was pure pace, and the speed beat a flapping Mignolet as the ball smashed into the net. It was also his first of the season in the League. Mignolet should have stopped it to be fair, but we weren’t complaining.

We were back into it in the space of five minutes, after looking dead and buried. All we had to do was start to test the away team’s backline and they would creak - and they were on the ropes now.

Two minutes later, we swung and connected with Liverpool’s soft underbelly. Ozil carried it forward and passed low to Lacazette with his back to goal. The Frenchman kept the ball and Ozil kept on into the box. An exquisite backheel found Ozil’s run and the German finished so well to give us the lead in what was a breathtaking ten minute spell.

We were like sharks smelling blood, everytime we got on the ball Liverpool were backing off and we could only look forward. The referee, Martin Atkinson, was letting the game flow when he could, but there were tackles flying in everywhere. It was helter skelter, and it was becoming as wide open as an american parking space.

Ozil and Sanchez were running the show, and Jack was chomping at every Liverpool players heels, we were in full flow. Hector Bellerin was keeping tabs on the quick breaks from Salah and Mane too, perhaps the only player capable of keeping up with the pace of the Reds frontmen.

Liverpool drew level on the 70th minute though, Firmino had found space in the centre just inside the box, and his finish was touched on by Cech but not strongly enough as the ball looped into the net.

This game was end to end, and there was no way to predict how it would finish. It had vibes of the memorable 4-4 Arshavin game, with ridiculous mistakes, sublime skill and plenty of goals on the menu.

The rest of the game saw chances for both sides, but it ended all square. At 2-0 down, we would’ve snatched at a draw, but at 3-2 up, we should’ve seen it out for maximum points. Now, we are four points behind Chelsea and they have a game in hand over us. There are tactical inefficiencies that need to be ironed out, and we have to play on the front foot more often if we are to maximise our true potential.

Still, what a game. We are still keeping chase, but the margin for error is growing smaller with every dropped point. On to Crystal Palace next week.