Ostersunds overcame the odds and put in a fantastic display to win on the night and put our club to shame, although it wasn’t quite enough to stop us from gaining passage to the next round of the Europa League.

Arsene Wenger named a pretty strong side in the face of an incoming Carabao Cup Final on Sunday and with a 3-0 aggregate lead to boot.

Henrikh Mkhitaryan, being cup-tied for the big game versus Manchester City, was an obvious inclusion, and Wenger went for Chambers and Holding in the centre of defence, foregoing experience in the form of Per Mertesacker. Hector Bellerin started too, as did Sead Kolasinac for the first time in a while.

Mohamed Elneny shared central midfield duties with Ainslie Maitland-Niles, and Alex Iwobi and Jack Wilshere were just behind Danny Welbeck in attack.

The experience in the side mattered little though, as we looked lethargic and quite frankly, over-confident. We were made to pay for it too, as Ostersunds paid back their fantastic away support with a high-tempo game that had our team lacking composure.

It was Graham Potter’s men who drew first blood, and it was entirely deserved. Hossam Aieshon was sent through on goal with a peach of a pass, his strike picking up a nick off Calum Chambers before finding a way past David Ospina.

70 seconds later, Ostersunds were making us pay dearly, and the comeback was very much on.

Ken Sema was found in the box, and Sema turned his marker before swivelling a shot into the far corner.

In the space of less than two minutes, Ostersunds were showing that the hype surrounding them was real.

All the attacking was coming from the Swedes, and it took us 34 minutes before we even registered a shot on target, Welbeck flicking a header straight at the keeper.

All of our players were abject, aside from Wilshere, the only one who could say he was making a difference, and late on he could’ve really given us breathing space, but he lashed high and wide.

There were inevitable boos that rang around the ground for our dejected players trudging off the pitch. They had done the badge a disservice, and they were rightfully reminded of it.

It was far from good enough.

The half time stats read the usual; the majority of possession, but what had we done with it? Pretty much nothing, and Ostersunds would’ve gone into their dressing room completely buoyed. They are in the middle of their off-season currently, but on this display, you’d struggle to figure out which team were rusty.

The blue strip we were playing in seems cursed - only one of our previous eight occasions wearing this hideous jersey had we won - and it looked like it would be one in nine.

The display prompted immediate action from Wenger, as the second half saw Maitland-Niles swapped for Granit Xhaka, in an attempt to beef up the midfield. The effect seemed to be immediate too, as Sead Kolasinac gave us the breathing space we sorely needed on the 46th minute.

A mistake in the backline from Ostersunds allowed the chance, Ronald Mukibi kicked at nothing and missed the ball entirely, which meant Kolasinac could finish from close range and give Ostersunds another mountain to climb.

The away team weren’t finished though, and they were causing our boys problems still, though the balance of play had shifted back to the way it should be.

The least our fans deserved was an equaliser. After the turgid first half especially, the Gooners that had braved the evening game should’ve been treated to far better than what they were witnessing.

We could at least point to a better defensive showing, thought that wasn’t too hard to achieve.We closed the wings down, one of the many things all of us were shouting out as we witnessed this atrocity unfold in front of us on the pitch and on screen.

The second half swung from Ostersunds attack to one of our own as we at least put some effort in. Welbeck had a couple of half-chances to break his rut, and Alex Iwobi had roused from his first half slumber.

Jack Wilshere was taken off with about 15 to play, as Jo Willock came on.

There was still time for both teams to have one last chance though, although both keeper’s came out on top this time.

Reiss Nelson coming on for Alex Iwobi in extra time was the last noteworthy incident of the game, as the whistle blew and Ostersunds had gained a fantastic result, but couldn’t quite get over the line.

On the basis of this match, we’ve got some work to do before Sunday.